Beety Not Meaty Burgers







So, these are the Best veggie burgers I have ever eaten.  It is also the first time I have ever made homemade veggie burgers.  They taste eerily like meat, it's crazy!  My husband does not like beets usually and he said he likes these better than real burgers.  He's not a vegetarian so that was huge!


I get beets from my parents and in-laws garden, so I can't wait to make huge batches and freeze them at the suggestion of my sister in-law.  Which is a great idea because when I find something this yummy I want to share it with everyone!  

So, make these!! They're easy and delicious.  There are a lot of steps, but they are pretty simple. And soooooo worth it!  I've been dreaming about eating these again, ever since we had them for dinner a few nights ago.  Oh, and they are healthy!  They're filled with legumes and whole grains, as well as beets which are great for you! This recipe is closely adapted from here.  http://www.thekitchn.com




Hope you try!


Makes 5-7 Beet Burgers
Ingredients:

3/4 cup short grain brown rice
1 1/2 cup cooked black beans.  I used dried,  but you can use canned; drained and rinsed.
2-3 medium beets diced  The small to medium ones taste best
1/4 of a large red onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 lemon juiced
2-3 Tbl spoons olive oil
2 Tbl spoons cider vinegar
2 Tbl spoons parsley minced
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbl spoons all purpose flour



Method:
Put a large amount of water into a pot and boil with a handful of salt.
Cook rice until it is soft; about 40 mins, drain and set aside
Put black beans into a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork
In a pan saute onion with a little olive oil until clear, add beets and cook until soft
add garlic to pan and cook just until fragrant.
Deglaze pan with vinegar.
Add rice and beet mixture to bowl with black beans.  Stir together.
Add everything else except flour.
Salt and Pepper to taste and once you like the flavor add the flour
Stir until flour is mixed in

Heat a large skillet to medium with a coating of olive oil.

Make sure the pan is really hot because you want a char on your burgers.
While your pan is getting hot, get your toppings and buns ready.
I made a few different ones and we shared.
I made a few with vegan cheddar slices and shredded lettuce.
Some with mashed avocado and tomato.
Just experiment, they will be delicious no matter what you top them with.



 Form burgers in your hand, and when you put them on the skillet they should sizzle.
Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add your cheese once you flip if you like.
Eat hot and Enjoy!!

So, I got so excited for this first one that it went on the floor

My husband said I should share that.
I did not freak out though, it was just sad for a second.
I forgot once I tasted the deliciousness!!







 I just made these and had to take more pictures.  They are so insanely good!!


No comments:

Post a Comment