The Beginning...and Vegetarian Red Lentil Roast

This is my first post.  I've been wanting to start a blog for awhile, but blah busy blah life.  I'm a wife, mother and vegetarian.  I will probably post things about my adorable daughter, and hubby, and maybe even some crafties I'm doing.  Mostly it will be food.  I've been posting bad pics of yummy things on Twitter, but no recipes.   And now I have the blog, so here we go with the recipes.  Some are mine and some are adapted or completely taken from other sources, which I'll do my best to credit. Also, a lot of the things I post are dishes that I come up with to use what I have at home.  We don't have the financial luxury to buy any food we want, so I try to be creative with what I've got and shop minimally.  This can be hard when you are a vegetarian and eat mostly produce, but we make it work. Hope you enjoy!!
First recipe is the Red Lentil Roast that I adapted from my bag of Arrowhead Mills Red Lentils.





Okay, so just want to say right off that I am not a photographer.  My food pictures aren't great, and I only have one cause I just started.  I'll take more and hopefully get better as I go along.

Red Lentil Roast

1 cup Red Lentils plus 2 cups water
1/2 cup of short grain brown rice plus 1 cup of water(or any kind, or no rice and 1 1/2 cup red lentils)
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic chopped
1- 1 1/2 grated or shredded cheese (whatever you like or have on hand)
1 egg or egg substitute, beaten
2 tsp or more thyme
1 tsp or more parsley  (add what you like)
dash of paprika
1 tsp of dijon mustard

Rinse Lentils and rice and cook as directed, don't drain
Place in large mixing bowl
Saute onions and garlic until slightly browned
add to rice and lentils
add in remaining ingredients and stir.
place all in well oiled baking dish.
Bake at 375 for 35-40 mins.
Serve hot

Red Lentils can be really earthy tasting, but I really like them in this roast.  The cheese helped made it yummy, and the whole family like it!  It's always nice when the baby can eat what we are eating.  She is 16mnths old and eats vegetarian and mostly vegan.  She's eats really great, and loves fruits, veggies, and legumes.  At least for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment